Using the cord extension might be necessary for some specific situations for the generator. When a generator runs, it makes noise and to avoid that you might need to place it outside your home.
And to ensure that the extension cord is one of the most crucial aspects. For optimum performance and to avoid electrical hazards, you might want to look for the best.
So, how to choose the best extension cord for connecting generators to refrigerators?
To ensure optimal performance and safety, it’s important to consider compatibility and specifications when choosing the right extension cord for your generator. Factors to keep in mind include the cord’s length and its amps and volts rating. According to this, Champion 25-Foot 30-Amp 250-Volt, Yellow Jacket 2991, and Southwire 2589 are some of the best extension cords for powering refrigerators using generators.
This is not the complete answer to the best extension cord for a generator to the refrigerator. Continue reading for an honest buying guide.
- 1 Top 3 Extension Cords For Generator to Refrigerator
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- 3 Bottom Line
Top 3 Extension Cords For Generator to Refrigerator
Champion 25-Foot 30-Amp 250-Volt, Yellow Jacket 2991, and Southwire 2589 are some of the best extension cords for connecting generators to refrigerators. For portable generators, it’s always advisable to keep them outside of the house to prevent noise and safety hazards, that’s why I always recommend long cable cords.
So, let’s have a quick look at the top 3 extension cords for generators to refrigerators in the following table.
|Champion 25-Foot 30-Amp 250-Volt||25 feet||$86|
|Yellow Jacket 2991||50 feet||$87|
|Southwire 2589||100 feet||$79|
To choose the perfect extension cord for the generator to a refrigerator power supply you must have detailed knowledge about the compatibility and specifications. So, go through the in-depth discussion below to make a wise decision!
Champion 25-Foot 30-Amp 250-Volt:
Best For Heavy-Duty And Durability:
Specifications of Champion 25-Foot 30-Amp 250-Volt
|Brand||Champion Power Equipment|
|Input Current||30 Amps|
|Weather Resistance||Abrasion and weather-resistant|
|Item Weight||8.8 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||10.6 x 10.6 x 1.5 inches|
|Customer Review||4.8 out of 5 stars, 5,448 ratings|
|Best Sellers Rank||#9,229 in Patio, Lawn & Garden|
|Warranty||1-year limited warranty with free lifetime support|
- Rated for 125/250 volts, providing up to 30 amps of power
- SJTW insulation is abrasion and weather-resistant
- Powers during an emergency with up to 30 amps
- This 25-foot, 10-gauge wire is flexible and rated for 250 volts
- Abrasion, weather, and service-grade SJTW insulation
- A safe and convenient way to connect your generator to the manual transfer switch on your home
- Uses 125/250 volts of generator power and extends 30 amps
- Champion Support includes a 1-year limited warranty and FREE lifetime technical support
- Customer ratings for durability, sturdiness, and weatherproofing
- Expensive price point
- Shipping and import fees deposit may be required
- Yellow and black colors may not appeal to all users
- May not be eligible for free Prime shipping from all sellers.
Having extensive experience with generators, the Champion 25-Foot 30-Amp 250-Volt extension cord is a reliable and heavy-duty option that I would highly recommend.
Firstly, the 10-gauge wire with a length of 25 feet is flexible enough to remain pliable in extreme temperatures. And It’s sturdy enough to handle up to 30 amps of power. This feature makes it an ideal choice for powering essential appliances during an emergency, such as refrigerators, air conditioners, and sump pumps.
Additionally, the SJTW insulation is abrasion and weather-resistant, ensuring its durability and longevity. The cord’s male-to-female connector gender allows for an easy and safe connection to the generator and manual transfer switch. And this will eliminate the need for multiple extension cords throughout the house.
The cord is rated for 125/250-volt use, and its weatherproofing makes it safe to use outdoors in all conditions.
I also appreciate the 1-year limited warranty and free lifetime technical support from dedicated experts included in the purchase. These demonstrate Champion Power Equipment’s commitment to its product and customers.
The only drawbacks to this product are its relatively high price point and the requirement for shipping and import fees deposit. Additionally, some users may not appreciate the yellow and black color scheme.
Overall, I believe the Champion 25-Foot 30-Amp 250-Volt extension cord is a dependable and durable option that is worth the investment for those in need of a heavy-duty generator cord especially for powering the refrigerator.
However, you may bypass the CO sensor on a Champion generator to allow it to run in enclosed spaces. To do this, you can visit our complete guide on how to bypass co sensor on the champion generator.
Yellow Jacket 2991:
Best for Safety:
|Input Current||20 Amps|
|Cord Length||50 feet|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||9.50 x 5.00 x 15.50 inches|
|Rated for||20 amps at 125 volts|
|Suitable for||Heavy-duty applications in workshops or on job sites|
|Color||Bright yellow for easy visibility|
|Plug Type||Right angle, easy to install behind furniture/equipment|
|Best Sellers Rank||#26,517 in Tools & Home Improvement|
|Customer Ratings||4.8 out of 5 stars based on 808 ratings|
Unique Features of Yellow Jacket 2991:
- Lighted receptacle end shows when power is on, providing added safety.
- Right-angle plug makes it easy to install behind furniture or equipment without bending the cord too much.
- With its STW covering, Yellow Jacket 2991 generator cords are ideal for heavy-duty applications in workshops or on job sites.
- With 125 volts and 20 amps, it can handle generators, compressors, or rotary hammers.
- A lighted receptacle end indicates power is on, and the cord is ready for use.
- The bright yellow color makes it easy to locate in grass or bushes.
- It is easy to install behind furniture or equipment with the right angle plug.
- It is water-resistant, providing added safety.
- The cord is 50 feet long, providing enough length for most applications.
- The Yellow Jacket brand is well-known and trusted in the industry.
- Meets OSHA specifications and is UL Listed.
- Some users may find the bright yellow color too noticeable and not aesthetically pleasing.
- The cord is relatively heavy, weighing 11.38 pounds, which may be difficult for some users to handle.
- The price may be higher than other similar products on the market.
The Yellow Jacket 2991 generator cord is an excellent choice for anyone looking for a high-quality extension cord for heavy-duty applications. With its STW covering, it is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use, making it ideal for workshops or job sites.
One of the most impressive features of this cord is its ability to handle intense applications such as generators, compressors, or rotary hammers. It’s 20-amp rating at 125 volts makes it happen. The lighted receptacle end shows when power is on, providing added safety. The bright yellow color also makes it easy to locate in grass or bushes.
Another notable feature of this cord is its right-angle plug, making it easy to install behind furniture or equipment without bending the cord too much. It is also water-resistant, providing added safety in damp conditions.
It is 50 feet long, providing enough length for most applications. It is also rated to meet OSHA specifications and is UL Listed, ensuring its safety and reliability.
Although the product has its merits, there are certain drawbacks to take into account. The striking shade of yellow may prove too conspicuous and unappealing to certain users from a visual standpoint. Also, the cord’s weight is relatively hefty, tipping the scales at 11.38 pounds, and may pose a challenge to handle for some individuals. Finally, the cost could potentially exceed that of comparable items available in the market.
Overall, the Yellow Jacket 2991 generator cord is an excellent choice for those who value safety and reliability. Its high-quality materials and construction, combined with its numerous features, make it a standout product in the industry. While it may not be the cheapest option available, its performance and reputation make it a worthwhile investment.
N.B.: This can be used to power a 3000-square-foot house with outside electricity from the best generators.
Best For Distant Power Supply:
|Plug Format||Type B|
|Length||100 feet (1200 inches)|
|Cord Gauge||12/3 SJTW|
|Jacket Material||Flexible vinyl|
|Customer Ratings||4.8 out of 5 stars based on 1,571 ratings|
|Best Sellers Rank||#15,872 in Tools & Home Improvement|
|Warranty||Contact the manufacturer for information|
|Country of Origin||USA|
|Product Dimensions||1200 x 0.44 x 0.44 inches|
|Item Weight||13.19 pounds|
Unique Features of Southwire 2589:
- The yellow color of the cord provides high visibility, enhancing safety and preventing tripping hazards
- The reinforced blades offer added durability and protection against bending and breaking of the prongs
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use, making it versatile for a range of applications
- Yellow cords enhance safety and prevent tripping hazards by providing high visibility
- A flexible vinyl jacket protects against moisture, abrasion, and sunlight
- Reinforced blades prevent prongs from breaking and bending
- The lighted end indicates when power is on, providing additional safety and convenience
- This cord also suits for some of the best generators for mobile detailing
- Only available with a Type B plug, which may not be compatible with all outlets
- At 100 feet long and weighing over 13 pounds, it may be heavy and unwieldy for some users
The Southwire 2589 extension cord is an excellent option for those who need to connect a generator to a refrigerator or other distant power supply. With a length of 100 feet, it provides ample distance for versatile indoor and outdoor use. The cord gauge of 12/3 SJTW and wattage of 1875 watts ensure that it is suitable for heavy-duty use and can handle high-powered appliances.
One of the standout features of this extension cord is the yellow color, which provides high visibility and enhances safety. The flexible vinyl jacket is also water-resistant, protecting against moisture, abrasion, and sunlight. These features make it ideal for use in a range of weather conditions and environments.
In addition, the reinforced blades offer added durability and protection against the bending and breaking of the prongs. This feature ensures that the cord will withstand frequent use and last for an extended period. The lighted end also indicates when power is on, providing additional safety and convenience.
However, there are a few potential downsides to consider. The Type B plug format may not be compatible with all outlets, so it is essential to check before purchasing. Additionally, at 100 feet long and weighing over 13 pounds, it may be heavy and unwieldy for some users. These factors should be taken into consideration when deciding whether this extension cord is the right choice for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Can I Plug A Refrigerator Directly Into A Generator?
For battery-powered generators that are usually installed indoors, the refrigerator can plug directly into the battery generator. The battery-operated generator can be installed right beside the appliance eliminating the need for extension cords and costly electrical work.
Do Generators Need Special Extension Cords?
Yes, generators may require special extension cords depending on the type of outlet they have. If the most powerful outlet on the generator is a 30-amp (4-prong) outlet, a 30-amp (4-prong) cord is required. Similarly, if the most powerful outlet is a 30-amp (3-prong) outlet, a 30-amp (3-prong) cord is needed.
Why Does My Refrigerator Keep Tripping My Generator?
Your refrigerator may be tripping your generator due to electrical leakage, especially if it’s an older model. Make sure your cord connections are dry and not exposed to rain or standing water, as this can cause electrical leakage and trigger a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) trip.
Well, hopefully now you’ll be able to choose the best extension cord for generator to refrigerator. However, depending on your specific need some other brands may come in handy for you. Always keep the fact of usage in mind before making a purchase.
Best of luck!