In today’s busy world, mobile detailing is gaining popularity, especially in cities and suburbs. People find it super convenient to have their cars cleaned and detailed right at their home, office, or any place they choose.
If you’re thinking about starting a mobile detailing business or already have one, you know how important a generator is. It’s what gives you the power to use all the tools and equipment needed to clean and detail vehicles effectively.
Some of the best generators for mobile detailing are the Honda EU2200i, the DuroMax XP12000EH, and the Westinghouse 4500. In this article, you will find a quick overview, the specifications, the features, and the pros and cons of the generators.
- 1 Best Generator for Mobile Detailing: A Quick Overview
- 2 Best Generator for Mobile Detailing: Detailed Specifications
- 2.1 Honda EU2200i
- 2.2 DuroMax XP12000EH Generator
- 2.3 Westinghouse 4500 Peak Watt Generator
- 2.4 How to Choose The Best Generator for Mobile Detailing?
- 2.5 Portability
- 2.6 Noise level
- 2.7 Starting Output Power
- 2.8 Running Output Power
- 2.9 Power Output Ports
- 2.10 Runtime
- 2.11 Inverter
- 2.12 Maintenance
- 2.13 Safety
- 2.14 Warranty
- 2.15 Value for Money
- 3 Conclusion
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Best Generator for Mobile Detailing: A Quick Overview
So I compiled this table here on the best 3 generators on the market using user reviews and market experiences. The generators have running power output ranging from 1.8 KW to 9.5 KW. The generators, however, are not ranked in the list. You should choose the generator that is the best fit for your use case.
Best Generator for Mobile Detailing: Detailed Specifications
The Honda EU2200i is a portable inverter generator that you can use for mobile detailing. It is quiet even at high workloads and can power a few small mobile detailing tools simultaneously.
Here are the specifications of the Honda EU2200i:
- Surge Wattage: 2200 W
- Running Wattage: 1900 W
- Engine: Honda GXR120
- Receptacles: 20A 125V Duplex (2 power outlets)
- Frequency Regulation: Inverter
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- Item Weight: 46.5 Pounds
- Voltage: 120 Volts
- Starting System: Recoil Starter
- Color: Red
- Product Dimensions: 20″L x 16″W x 11″H
- Engine Type: 4 Stroke Engine
- Tank Volume: 0.95 Gallons
- Run Time Per Tankful: 3.2 hours at rated load and 8.1 hours at 1/4 load
- Engine Displacement: 121 Cubic Centimeters
- Frequency: 60 Hz
- Noise Level 57 dB(A) at rated load and 48 dB(A) at 1/4 load
- Item Weight: 46.5 pounds
- Review: 4.8/5.0 stars from 1,746 ratings
- CO – MINDER advanced carbon monoxide detection system
- Proprietary “My Generator” smartphone app for remote start/stop monitoring operating conditions completely wirelessly.
- Honda 121cc GXR120 Commercial Series engine.
- Inverter-regulated generator.
- Highest rating from users in this list of best generators.
Here are some of the pros of the Honda EU2200i generator:
- Built-in carbon monoxide sensor
- Remote control
- Inverter generator for greater efficiency
- Highly portable. Comes with a handle.
- Very quiet, even at a full workload.
- Can run for more than 8 hours in a single tank of gas.
- Can be used in conjunction with another Honda EU2200i generator.
The Honda EU2200i generator also comes with some disadvantages that you should consider before making the investment:
- Considerably more expensive compared to non-inverter generators
- Concerns about long-term durability
- Can only power 120 V tools
- Few power outlets
- The CO sensor sometimes causes issues on Honda generators. In that case, you may need to bypass the Honda CO sensor.
This is a heavy-duty portable generator that you could use if you need heavy power tools for your detailing work. It can power lots of high-powered detailing tools at the same time. You could use multiple power washers and a large vacuum cleaner simultaneously with this generator.
Here are the specifications of the DuroMax XP12000EH Generator:
- Peak Output Wattage: 12,000 watts (gasoline), 11,400 Watts (propane)
- Running Output Wattage: 9,500 Watts (gasoline), 9,025 Watts (propane)
- Fuel Type: Dual Fuel
- Power Source: Gasoline and Propane
- Item Weight: 224 Pounds
- Voltage: 240 Volts and 120 Volts
- Power Outlets:
- Two 120 V 20 A Outlets (household power outlet)
- One 120 V 30 A Outlets (twist lock)
- One 120/240 V 30 A Outlets (twist lock)
- One 120/240 V 50 A Outlets (heavy-duty twist lock)
- Included Components:
- DuroMax XP12000EH Electric Start Generator.
- A 12V Generator Battery.
- A Generator Wheel Kit.
- A Generator Tool Kit.
- A DuroMax Operating Manual.
- A Spark Plug Wrench
- Color: Black and Blue
- Product Dimensions : 30″L x 29″W x 26″H
- Material: Metal
- Approval: 50 State Approved
- Engine Type: 4 Stroke engine
- Engine Displacement: 457 Cubic Centimeters
- Runtime: 8 hours at rated load
- Frequency: 60 Hz
- Item Weight: 224 pounds
- Number of Batteries: 1 (included)
- Battery Cell Type: Lead Acid
- Horsepower: 16.09 hp
- Warranty Description: 3-Year Limited Manufacturer’s Warranty
- Rating: 4.5/5.0 Stars from 3,474 ratings
The DuroMax XP12000EH Generator has many unique features including:
- 5 power outlets
- Up to 80 A current delivery
- Both 120 V and 240 V output
- Comes with a comprehensive maintenance kit
- Can utilize both gasoline and propane as fuel
Some of the pros of the DuroMax XP12000EH Generator are given below:
- Can power your 240V tools.
- Dual fuel use capability.
- 1 Outlet is rated for 50 A.
- Comprehensive maintenance tool kit included..
- Some users have managed to modify the DuroMax XP12000EH Generator to run on natural gas as well.
- Can be easily used to power a big 5-bedroom home with air conditioning. But in that case, you would need to wire one or multiple transfer switches to the generator.
While the DuroMax XP12000EH Generator is a good generator, it has its own share of drawbacks. Consider these factors if you are going to purchase the DuroMax XP12000EH Generator:
- Low portability.
- Bulky structure. The DuroMax XP12000EH Generator is rather bulky compared to the other generators with 29″L x 30″W x 26″H dimensions.
- Comes with only 5 power outlets
- Rather expensive for a mobile generator.
The Westinghouse 4500 is another great portable generator that you could use for getting your mobile detailing work done.
These are the specifications of Westinghouse 4500 Peak Watt generator:
- Peak Output Wattage: 4,500 Watts
- Running Output Wattage: 3,700 Watts
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- Power Source: gasoline-powered engine
- Item Weight: 104.7 Pounds
- Voltage: 120 Volts
- Included Components:
- Westinghouse 4500 Peak Watt Generator
- Engine Oil
- An Oil Funnel
- An Owner’s Manual
- Product Dimensions : 24.5″L x 17.5″W x 20″H
- Engine Type: OHV 4 Stroke Engine
- Tank Volume: 3.4 Gallons
- Runtime: 18 hours
- Total Power Outlets: 3
- Frequency: 60 Hz
- Noise output: 52 dBA at low load rating
- Warranty: 3 years limited service warranty
- Rating: 4.6/5.0 Stars from 4,783 ratings
The Westinghouse 4500 also comes with many features that make it quite unique. Some of those unique features are given below:
- Comes with two 1.0 A to 2.1 A 5 V DC USB A ports.
- Includes a push-button for electric start.
- Dedicated switch for efficiency mode
- Digital instrumentation panel
- Comes with a single 120 V 30 A power outlet.
- Comes with two 120 V 20 A power outlets
- High run time. It can provide you with power for 18 hours continuously from a single tank of gas.
- Overload reset-button.
- Electric start/stop button.
- A key fob is included that can be used to remotely start or stop the generator.
- Very high run time
- Comes with 2 USB A ports
- Can be used in conjunction with another Westinghouse 4500 generator
- Westinghouse has a nationwide warranty coverage network.
- Can be easily turned on or off using the electric push button.
- An included remote key fob to stop/start and operate the Westinghouse 4500 generator remotely.
- A conventional recoil start system with this particular generator for redundancy.
- A digital data center instrumentation panel for easy reading.
- Dedicated switch for eco mode.
Despite the many pros of the Westinghouse 4500, there are some things you should still consider about this generator before making the purchase. Here are some of the cons of the Westinghouse 4500:
- Does not give 240 V power output.
- Does not come with an inverter.
- Can be as loud as 65 dBA 10 feet away. But at low load ratings, the generator is comparatively silent.
- Known to frequently suffer from a choke issue
How to Choose The Best Generator for Mobile Detailing?
If you are looking for the best generator for mobile detailing, there are quite a few things you should consider. Purchasing a portable generator can be quite an investment. If the particular model that you purchase turns out to be inadequate for your detailing work you could end up acquiring significant losses.
Here are some of the factors you should look into when it comes to picking the generator that is best for you:
Portability is one of the first things you should see when it comes to getting a generator for doing mobile detailing. You will have to carry the generator to your work site and move it around. If the generator that you purchase is too heavy or bulky to carry, your work will become difficult.
A big heavy generator could also get damaged when being moved around at the job site. So you should always try to get the most portable generator you can get for doing mobile detailing work.
Noise level is another important factor that should be considered when purchasing a mobile generator. You may have to do detailing at places where sound has to be minimized, such as inside office buildings or hospitals.
So if you are doing detailing at places where sound is not permitted you need a generator that is as silent as possible. Inverter generators are great for these kinds of jobs. While inverter generators are a bit pricier in terms of power output, they are incredibly quiet.
Starting Output Power
You should also consider the starting output power of the generator you are going to buy. Power tools used for detailing can have considerably high starting power draw. The generator you are using for mobile detailing should be able to accommodate for the power surge when starting these tools.
If you are going to be using multiple detailing tools simultaneously your generator needs to have a higher starting output power. Moreover, when using multiple tools, avoid starting them at the same time to prevent a big surge in power draw. Make sure that the surge power rating of the generator is at least higher than the highest starting power of the power tools.
Running Output Power
This is an obvious factor to be taken into consideration when it comes to selecting the best generator for mobile detailing. The running output power of the generator should be higher than the combined power ratings of the tools you will be powered simultaneously.
If the running output power of the generator is inadequate the tools will not work correctly. This will lead to a poor-quality detailing job. Furthermore, having less than adequate running output power could also end up damaging your detailing tools. So, always get a mobile generator with a sufficient running output power rating.
Power Output Ports
If you are going to be using multiple tools simultaneously, you need to have an adequate number of power outlets. Having too few outlets can reduce your work efficiency, leading to a long work time.
Some mobile generators also come with USB A ports for charging mobile devices. With this feature, you will no longer have to bring a phone charger to the work site. The ports can also be used to power small electrical appliances if necessary. Some generators also include a DC 12 V receptacle for powering devices.
You should also look into the current rating of the ports. If you are going to be using heavy equipment with a lot of current draws, you need ports with a high amperage rating.
You should also look into the runtime you can expect from the portable generator. You may have to perform detailing jobs that could take a very long time to complete. You could also have multiple workers working at different shifts to finish the job. If the generator has low run time it will run out of fuel quickly.
Having a generator with a high runtime reduces the need for frequent refueling. It could also reduce the time needed for completing a detailing job, thus saving you a lot of money. So, always purchase a generator with adequate runtime.
Whether the generator includes an inverter could be an important question when buying the best generator for mobile detailing. An advantage of having inverters is the reduction of noise and fluctuations in the output power. If you are going to be using detailing tools that are too sensitive, not using an inverter could damage them.
Additionally, generators equipped with inverters also produce less noise, as mentioned in a previous section. This could be an important factor for certain mobile detailing jobs. Inverters are also more efficient than conventional non-inverter generators. This could be important for you if you are environmentally conscious. It will also save you money in the long run.
Another obvious factor to consider when getting the best generator for mobile detailing is the need for maintenance. The need for frequent maintenance ends up increasing downtime and costs you money.
Some generators come with features that reduce the need for performing maintenance. For example, some generators come with a fuel shut-off feature. This feature burns off the excess leftover oil in the carburetor. It reduces the chance of blockages and lessens the need for maintenance. So, get a generator that does not need to be maintained often.
You should also be considering the safety features of the generator. This is because if you are going to be performing mobile detailing, you will be keeping the generator close to the work site. An unsafe generator could make the worksite unsafe.
One of the ways mobile generators can be unsafe is through production of harmful carbon monoxide gas. Some generators come equipped with CO-detecting and monitoring equipment. Those generators will automatically shut down if the CO concentration in the area reaches unsafe levels.
Generators could also sprout fuel leaks. Fuel leaks at the work site can cause accidents. So always get generators that have a robust construction and safety features like CO sensors.
You should also check the warranty provided by the manufacturer of the generator. Mobile generators, even those manufactured by reputed makers, can often be defective. Having good warranty coverage lets you replace the defective generator if necessary.
Value for Money
Another thing to consider when investing in the best generator for mobile detailing is its value for money. Some generators come with a lot of features that may be unnecessary for performing mobile detailing. You should get the generator that only manages to meet your requirements for completing the mobile detailing job.
Now you know about the best generator for mobile detailing. Generators require very big investments. So you should be very careful when purchasing a mobile generator for doing your mobile detailing work. I hope this article managed to clear up all your confusion.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
What will a 12,000 watt generator run portable?
A 12,000 W portable generator will run air conditioners, refrigerators, and space heaters. It will also power almost all electrical appliances in your home. These generators can easily power a home.
What machines are used for car detailing?
Machines that are used for car detailing include polishers, carpet extractors, vapor Steamers, and power washers. You may also need vacuum cleaners, air compressors, and ozone generators depending on the type of detailing.
What is the difference between a car washer and a car detailer?
The difference between a car washer and a car detailer is the depth of the cleaning work. Car washing is done at a surface level only. Car detailing, on the other hand, is a maintenance service that increases the lifespan of the internal and eternal car components.
That is all for today. Thank you and goodbye!