When you choose any generator for your home, you will mainly be concerned about two facts of it. Firstly, you would want to know its wattage capacity to run multiple devices. Secondly, you will want a generator that can run for an extended period. It is similar to an 8000W generator.
If you have an 8000W generator, you already know its wattage capacity. So, the second consideration becomes essential, “How long will an 8000W watt generator run?”
Of course, the running time of a generator depends on the wattage used, load capacity, fuel tank size, and generator efficiency. Considering all these facts, you can expect an 8000W generator to run for 8 to 10 hours at full load capacity. On the other hand, if you run the generator at 25% load capacity, its running time will increase considerably.
However, this running time isn’t static. It may vary depending on many situations, including fuel type and its purity. So, let’s take this discussion deeper to know the expected run time for the 8000W generator.
- 1 How Long Will An 8000 Watt Generator Run?
- 2 Tips on Extending the Life of Your Generator
- 3 Types of 8000 Watts Generators
- 4 Benefits of 8000 Watts Generators
- 5 Conclusion
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
How Long Will An 8000 Watt Generator Run?
You must remember that an 8000W rated generator isn’t a large one. It is a modest-sized generator for residential uses. Thus, it can’t run heavy-duty devices that require high wattages. So, it isn’t ideal for central air conditioners and room heaters.
It’s decent sizing also affects the running capacity of the generator. For example, a generator with 8000W capacity will mostly have 5 to 7 gallons of the fuel tank. Thus, the generator can deliver you around 10.5 hours of backup with gasoline gas at full load. If you lower the load capacity to 50% or 25%, the machine’s runtime will increase to 16 hours or more.
We have researched the market deeply to know the runtime of the 8000W generator and its close ones. Our research has found the following facts for the popular top generators around the 8000W range. So, let’s look at it.
- Westinghouse WGen9500DF generator has a 9500W rated load capacity. It runs for 12 hours with gasoline on its 6.6 gallons of fuel tank. It runs for around 6 hours with the propane.
- Champion Power Equipment 100416 is a portable generator with an 8000W load capacity. It has a large 8.5 gallons of fuel tank. The generator will run for 5 hours with propane and 12.5 hours with gas.
- Westinghouse WGen7500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator has 9500W of peak capacity and 7500W of load capacity. Also, it has a standard 6.6 gallons of fuel tank. You can run the machine for 10.5 hours with gasoline and 5.5 hours with propane.
- Champion Power Equipment 100520 8750-Watt generator runs for 10.5 hours. It has 4.2 gallons of space for the fuel tank. So, it is one of the most efficient generators out there.
As you see from the above facts of four popular generators, the machine runs for 10 hours. However, in real life, you can expect to get 8 to 9 hours of backup from the generator. It happens because the fuel tank will develop residues over the years, causing less efficient performance.
Also, from the discussion above, you see that fuel consumption and fuel capacity play a vital role. These two properties of the generator control its running time essentially. So, let’s check them out.
If you want better runtime from the generator, you should use a machine with better efficiency. The higher its engine efficiency, the longer it will run. So, look at the fuel consumption chart and find its probable runtime.
Fuel consumption and efficiency are truly inseparable. For instance, the Champion Power Equipment 100520 8750-Watt generator only has 4.2 gallons of fuel tank. Yet, it runs for 10.5 hours. It is an almost equivalent performance of a 6.6 gallons fuel tank. It happens because the manufacturer has better tuned its engine with the fuel tank.
Type and quality of the fuel:
The fuel you use for the generator also affects how long an 8000W generator will run. These days, most generators come with dual-fuel capacity. So, you can use either gasoline or propane to run the machine. Some even run with natural gas or liquid gas.
However, gasoline offers the longest run time compared to propane or butane. In fact, industry experts suggest that a generator will run 2X more with gasoline than with propane. As we have seen in our four generators listed above, it is true.
Yes, Champion Power Equipment 100416 generator runs with both gasoline and fuel. But, it runs for 5 hours with propane and 12 hours with gasoline. So, you know the shocking difference in runtime for the machine with different powers.
Identically, the fuel quality also affects the generator’s runtime. So, when running on this generator, be sure to use unleaded gasoline. In addition, its octane rating must be at least 90. Similarly, you may find it helpful to avoid running the unit on low fuel levels. This can cause the generator to run poorly and result in damage.
Tips on Extending the Life of Your Generator
The following actions can be taken to help a few things extend the life of this generator.
- Make sure it is free and clean from debris; make sure all connections are tight. And use only high-quality extension cords.
- You should also avoid overloading the generator, as this can cause damage and shorten its life.
- When they’re done using the generator, running the unit for about 30 minutes on a full gas tank is essential. It will help remove any condensation built up in the engine and prolong its life.
- If this generator runs poorly or dies quickly after refueling, fuel delivery may have an issue. In this case, you should take the machine to a qualified technician for repair.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that this generator will run for years. In recent years, generator technology has advanced dramatically and with proper care. And this unit can be a valuable addition to your home during power outages.
Generator maintenance tips
A generator’s maintenance is crucial to run it smoothly. Make sure it is free and clean from debris; use only high-quality extension cords. Avoid overloading the generator and run it for about 30 minutes on a full tank of gas after refueling.
If your machine runs poorly or dies quickly after refueling, take it to a qualified technician for repair.
To get the most out of this generator, always use the highest-rated gasoline. You should never run the machine at the low-fuel level. In fact, most generators have low-oil detection sensors and will shut off automatically. So, it helps in delivering optimal performance.
Types of 8000 Watts Generators
Different types of generators produce 8000 watts of power. There are two main types of fuel: gasoline and diesel. Unleaded gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 90 uses gasoline for the generators. And typically, use a recoil starter to get them going.
On the other hand, diesel generators run on diesel fuel and usually have an electric start. As a result, they also tend to be louder than gasoline generators.
Both types of generators have their pros and cons. Before making a purchase, you should do your research.
Benefits of 8000 Watts Generators
This generator can be a valuable addition to your home during power outages. They are open in gasoline and diesel models, so you can choose the one that best suits your needs.
Most generators come with a recoil starter, making them easy to get going. Generators also benefit from being portable so that you can take them with you on the go.
What appliances can it power?
This generator can power most appliances in your home. Whether it’s a large heating unit or a small kitchen appliance, this generator will have no problem delivering the energy you need during a storm or other emergency.
With this generator, you can easily power up a large refrigerator, one air conditioner, multiple fans, and lights, along with a room heater. So, it should meet all your home’s electrical requirements during power cuts.
What to Consider when buying a generator?
When buying this generator for your home, there are a few things that you should keep in mind.
- First and foremost is the fuel consumption – be sure to use unleaded gasoline with at least a 90-octane rating.
- You should also avoid running the unit on low fuel levels as this can cause damage.
- Another point to consider is the noise level – generators can be pretty loud, so be sure to pick the one you are comfortable with.
- Finally, ensure you have enough space to store it when not in use. Most generators are pretty large and take up a good amount of room.
- what will a 5500 watt generator run?
- what can I run with a 5000 watt generator?
- how much can a 7500 watt generator run?
- what can a 3000 watt generator run?
- What Can a 700-Watt Generator Run?
You should now clearly understand how long an 8000W generator will run. You should use gasoline with a 90% octane rating to get the longest runtime from the generator. Also, you may lower its load capacity and power up fewer devices to run it for longer during emergencies. Lastly, maintain the generator and its fuel tank to get the best performance from this machine.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
How many hours will an 8000-watt generator run on a full tank of gas?
This generator runs for around 12 hours on a full gas tank. If you need to increase its runtime, for the time being, you should run it at 50% or 25% load capacity.
How many amps will this generator pull?
This generator typically pulls between 100 and 120 amps of power. So, the generator will be ideal for small residential applications. However, it is unsuitable for large residential or commercial spaces to power heavy-duty electrical appliances.
How many watts are in this generator?
8000 watts is equal to about 9000 joules of energy. Also, its starting capacity will be around 9500W, which you can see in its product labeling.